Rishta (Lebanese lentil and pasta soup) - Adapted from a recipe by Georgina Hayden
Contributor: Dr. Rashmi Chadha
8 servings (but usually eaten as 4 as everyone loves it!)
8 cups vegetable broth
1 heaping cup dried brown/green lentils - washed
¼ cup olive oil
2 medium large onion - thinly sliced
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp ground coriander powder
2 cups fresh cilantro leaves and stems - chopped finely
4 oz dried tagliatelle or fettuccine broken into bite-sized pieces
Lemon juice (to taste)
- Combine broth and lentils in large saucepan. Bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until lentils soft.
- Whilst the lentils are cooking, put a smaller saucepan on the heat, and warm olive oil. Add onions and garlic and cook until just beginning to colour. This will take 10-15 minutes. Cooking for less time will not develop the flavour enough.
- Stir cumin seeds and ground coriander into the softened onion. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Be careful not to burn the spices (add more oil if dry).
- Stir half the chopped cilantro into the onion mix. Remove pan from heat once wilted.
- Add onion mix to the lentil-broth.
- Add dried tagliatelle to the saucepan. Bring to boil and simmer until pasta is cooked to al dente.
- Stir in plenty of lemon juice to give it a cohesive sharp flavour.
- Add the remaining cilantro. Season and add further lemon if needed.